It’s the last week of Refashion Runway and a winner is due to be crowned next week!
I haven’t made it through to this round, but pop on over for a refashion feast anyway and vote for your favourite!
So, this last challenge is themed “summer dress”. While it is winter here, I’m still really excited about this one. I found this “vintage” doozy a month or so back and knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.
First I turned it around backwards (as below) and drew a new neckline.
I unpicked the lace (unsure what to do with it at this stage) and cut away the neckline,
then I sewed the back (formerly the front) together to form a deep “V”, tapering off the join in the lace for a nice mitered finish.
then I unpicked the skirt and created a bodice from the top. I did this by pinning darts into the front at the waist and also below the shoulder at the arm hole, before joining these darts together over the bust to create a nicely tailored “princess seam”.
The skirt was shortened, gathered and then sewn onto the lace.
Because the dress is so tailored, I added an invisible zip into the side seam too.
To finish off, the armholes were handsewn down and I used the excess skirt fabric to make bias binding for the new neckline (after I cut away that extra lace I’d left there at the start).
After hemming the skirt, I was all done!
I LOVE the back of this dress. Definitely my favourite part and something I’d like to repeat on another refashion sometime.
Here’s the before and after again for you: